Conservation Tips for the Holiday SeasonDecember 17, 2012
As we look forward to time away from campus, each of you can help to conserve energy during the break with just a few simple steps before you leave for the holidays.
Before leaving for any extended period, please:
- Shut down desktop and laptop computers unless instructed otherwise by IS or administrative staff. If your computer, speakers, phone charger, etc., are all on one power strip, turn off the power strip after shutting down your computer.
- Unplug nonessential equipment such as copiers, fax machines, printers, scanners, and chargers. Most equipment draws electricity even when turned off.
- Unplug all appliances, including coffee makers, microwaves, televisions, and radios. Like office equipment, many appliances use electricity even when turned off.
- Turn off office lights and as much public lighting as possible in hallways, bathrooms, break rooms, and conference rooms.
- Check windows to make sure they are tightly closed and locked.
- Check faucets in bathrooms and break rooms to make sure they are completely turned off and not dripping.
- If you work in a lab with variable air volume fume hoods, shut the sash completely (just as you should any time the hood is not in use).
- Call in any leaks or maintenance issues to the Facilities & Campus Services Customer Service Center at 336.758.4255
These tips will help keep your building safe and energy-efficient over the holidays. Conservation is a team effort!
Want to continue making an impact? Try these tips at home!
Wishing you a very happy holiday season!
Facilities and Campus Services will renovate the courtyards to the east and west sides of the Hearn Plaza entrance to Wait Chapel. The project began...
Service AlertsView all
- Power outage in Miller Center, Anthropology Lab, and the Barn
- MIller Center, Anthropology Lab and The Barn
- Power Outage at Taylor, Efird, Wingate, Wait Chapel, Poteat, Huffman, Reynolds Gym and Kitchin Hall
- Taylor, Efird, Wingate, Wait Chapel, Poteat, Huffman, Reynolds Gym and Kitchin Hall