The WFU Surplus Property Program collects property from departments that no longer need it, processes the property, and redistributes it to departments that do need it. Our primary goal is to maximize reuse of University property and minimize the quantity of property that ends up in our landfills. For property which Wake Forest has no further reuse opportunities, Surplus will offer that property to charitable/non-profit organizations or sell the property to an organization for reuse.
Thanks to YOU the WFU Surplus Program is WORKING!!!
Since the Surplus Program began in 2011 . . .
- Over 3000 individual items having been repurposed and reused within WFU Departments.
- Over 3600 individual items having been gifted to local charitable organizations or otherwise moved into the community to continue their useful life.
- Additionally, metal items with no further re-usefulness totaling over 54 TONS have been recycled through the WFU Surplus Program.
- Electronic and electrical items collected and responsibly recycled have amounted to over 14.7 tons for equipment diverted from landfills.
That’s over 317 TONS of merchandise repaired, recycled, re-purposed, re-used and diverted from the landfill!
We offer the following surplus property services:
- Collection of surplus furniture (desks, chairs, tables, etc.) and equipment (laboratory equipment, etc.)
- Delivery of surplus to departments upon request
- Technotrash recycling
Note: Do not throw broken property in the trash! Have Surplus Property pick it up instead.
Surplus Property is located at 27 W. 30th Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27105. Faculty and staff shopping hours are 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon every Friday. If your schedule does not permit you to visit on Fridays during shopping hours, please contact the Surplus Property coordinator for an appointment: (o) 336-758-4071, (c) 336-251-8635, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Surplus property is only available for reuse to WFU Departments.
- Individuals are not allowed to purchase or otherwise receive surplus merchandise for personal use.
Unsure if an item should be turned over to surplus? Contact the Surplus Property Coordinator email@example.com, (o) 336-758-4071, (c) 336-251-8635.
Things to know before planning your visit to Surplus
- Surplus Fees: Surplus materials are provided for departmental use at no cost. There is a $40 service request fee for the delivery of surplus items. There is no charge for a surplus pick-up.
- Measure your space: Items stored in a large warehouse facility can appear smaller than they actually are. By measuring your available space, you can better select items that will fit properly. This will eliminate the need to have an item returned to Surplus.
- Please plan to pick out your merchandise in-person: Everyone’s tastes and needs differ. Please plan to visit the warehouse for a first-hand look at our merchandise. We are unable to select items for you.
- WFU Faculty and Staff only: Surplus is made available for use by any faculty or staff member for WFU departmental use. Surplus cannot be utilized by individuals for personal use.
- Surplus Merchandise is USED MERCHANDISE: Be aware… items in Surplus have typically been well-used by someone else. We try to keep attractive pieces in stock, but some items do have scratches, dents and/or other signs of wear. Every effort is made to make sure that items obtained from Surplus are fully functional and in acceptable repair.
- Take what you need, but please NEED what you take: Surplus inventory is limited. It is our goal to help departments fill their furniture and equipment needs. Please, take only items that you have a true need for and can use.
Before you transfer items to surplus
- Sending refrigerated equipment to Surplus Property: Surplus Property accepts working refrigerated equipment (refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, etc.) for re-use. Broken or non-working refrigerated equipment is not accepted. If you have broken/non-working refrigerated equipment, please submit a Service Request to have any contaminants removed and the item disposed of properly.
- Fixed assets: If you are seeking to surplus a fixed asset item, please complete the Fixed Asset Update Form and send to Procurement Services.
- Equipment purchased with grant funds: If you are seeking to surplus equipment purchased with grant funds which may still be valued over $5000, please contact Financial & Accounting Services to find out how to appropriately surplus your item.
Items not accepted by Surplus: Office supplies, paper products, light bulbs,vehicles.
Items requiring authorization: Technology Equipment, Hazardous Waste, Fixed Assets, Broken Refrigerated Equipment.
Keep in Mind
WFU employees are prohibited from disposing giving away, donating, or selling university-owned property. Employees and departments can contact Surplus and/or reference the Surplus Property Standard Operating Procedure for contact information regarding disposal of items that are no longer needed by a department. These procedures have been established as guidelines for employees to find the proper channels for disposing of, recycling, or re-using WFU property. The Surplus Property Standard Operating Procedure is subject to change and does not comprehensively incorporate all requirements of the University.