The Fire & Life Safety Program is responsible for supporting multiple departments with fire and life safety systems expertise and code awareness. As a subject matter expert resource, we serve Maintenance, Utilities, and Project Management departments within Facilities & Campus Services, as well as the broader campus.
Fire is FAST! There is little time!
In less than 30 seconds a small flame can get completely out of control and turn into a major fire. It only takes minutes for thick black smoke to fill a building. In minutes, a building can be engulfed in flames.
Fire is HOT! Heat is more threatening than flames.
A fire’s heat alone can kill. Room temperatures in a fire can be 100°C at floor level and rise to 600°C at eye level. Inhaling this super hot air will scorch your lungs. This heat can melt clothes to your skin. In five minutes a room can get so hot that everything in it ignites at once: this is called flashover.
Fire is DARK! Fire isn’t bright, it’s pitch black.
Fire starts bright, but quickly produces black smoke and complete darkness. If you wake up to a fire you may be blinded, disoriented and unable to find your way around. Be familiar with primary and secondary emergency escape routes.
Fire is DEADLY! Smoke and toxic gases kill more people than flames do.
Fire uses up the oxygen you need and produces smoke and poisonous gases that kill. Breathing even small amounts of smoke and toxic gases can make you disoriented and short of breath.
Treat all fire alarms as if there is a fire and evacuate.
Failing to react immediately when a fire alarm is sounding can put your life at risk.
Fire Safety Tips:
- In the event of a fire, remember time is the biggest enemy and every second counts!
- Escape first, then call for help.
- Always evacuate the building.
- Be familiar with your building fire escape plan and designated meeting place outside.
- Know the location of fire alarm pull stations. They are generally located at each exit door, fire rated stairwell, and elevator banks.
- Never stand up in a fire, always crawl low under the smoke and try to keep your mouth covered.
- Never return to a burning building for any reason; it may cost you your life.
MAINTENANCE & UTILITIES
Work Order Request
Work Order Requests are processed Monday-Friday,
8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
For immediate assistance or emergencies, contact us immediately at 336.758.4255.